QuickBooks Online is considered one of the best accounting software for small businesses. It helps to maintain the financial recordkeeping of sales, expenses, taxes, income, and payroll.
QuickBooks Online allows you to generate and send invoices to your customers. This article will explain how you can conveniently export invoices and invoice data from QuickBooks Online.
Why export invoices from QuickBooks Online
Invoices are used to record sales transactions and collect payment for goods and services. They contain items such as date of sale, names or contact details of buyer and seller, product or service description, and total amount due for payment.
As a business owner, you should store invoices for the best recordkeeping. Invoices are generated in QuickBooks Online, and then you can send them to your customers. Accurate records help you track the amounts received and outstanding invoices.
Sometimes, you may need to export invoices from QuickBooks to Excel or BigQuery. Below are some reasons for exporting invoices:
- Access to all the invoice data you need.
- Share with multiple users without having to log into your QuickBooks Online account.
- Ability to customize the design and format of your company’s invoices.
- Exporting invoices allows you to create a QuickBooks backup copy of your invoices.
How to export invoices from QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online doesn’t have an option for exporting an invoice. But you can export a list of invoices in the form of a report. They can be downloaded as Excel or PDF files. Here’s how to export an invoice from QuickBooks Online:
- In the Business view, go to Business Overview and click on Reports. Or, if you’re using the Accountant view, simply go to the list of functions and select Reports.
- Use the search box to find Invoice List, then select it.
- Click the Customize button on the right-hand side, change the report period, rows/columns, or filter, and then click Run Report.
- From Quickbooks, export invoices to Excel or PDF by selecting the Export icon.
How to automate exports of invoices from Quickbooks Online
Yes, you can export invoices manually but what happens when you need to generate weekly or monthly reports of invoices? This means you’d have to keep repeating such a mundane task. And this can be very overwhelming over time.
So you need a solution that can streamline the process for you. Coupler.io is a tool that can help you automate the export of invoices from QuickBooks Online. It allows you to make easy QuickBooks export to Excel. You can also use Coupler.io to connect QuickBooks to BigQuery.
First, create a Coupler.io account, then follow the steps below to automate invoice exports:
- Click on Add Importer to create a QuickBooks Importer.
- Select your preferred Source and Destination apps.
For the Source app, choose QuickBooks. The destination app can be Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or BigQuery. Then, click Proceed.
- Connect your Source account.
If you’re already logged in to QuickBooks, a popup would appear and you’ll be required to click the Connect button on it. If not, log in and do so.
- Select the data category to export.
Since you’re trying to export invoices, choose Invoice and click the Jump To Destination Settings button.
- Connect to your destination account.
A popup will appear and you’ll be asked to log into your destination account. Select an existing workbook, then pick an existing sheet or create a new one by typing in a new name. Now, click Jump To Schedule Settings.
- Set up a schedule for data refresh.
You can turn off Automatic data refresh and run the importer. Or create a custom schedule for your Quickbooks invoice exports.
- Click Save and Run. Here’s a sample of invoices data exported to a spreadsheet app:
How to export invoice data without tax from QuickBooks Online
Customers are often required to pay sales taxes when they purchase goods or services. So many businesses include these taxes in each invoice. However, you may feel the need to export QuickBooks data to Excel that do not have taxes.
Coupler.io allows you to filter invoice data by specific fields. However, there is nothing about taxes. But that’s not an issue. You can still use Coupler.io to export invoices from QuickBooks Online and then filter the data in your destination app. For example, here is how you can do this in Google Sheets:
- Create a sorting filter in your exported data.
- Find the TxnTaxDetail.TotalTaxOn column – it shows the total amount of tax charged. Unfold the filter drop-down menu and choose Filter by condition. You’ll need to set up the following parameter:
Is equal to – 0
If necessary, you can filter out your exported invoice data by other fields related to taxes:
- TotalAmt shows the total amount on an invoice.
- GlobalTaxCalculation states whether tax is excluded, not applicable, or included in the price.
- TxnTaxDetail.TaxLine.0.TaxLineDetail.NetAmountTaxable displays the net taxable amount.
- TxnTaxDetail.TotalTax shows the total amount of tax charged.
QuickBooks export invoice line items
Line items in invoices are services or products with their corresponding quantities, rates, or prices added to an invoice. If you want to QuickBooks export invoice line items, Coupler.io can help.
These invoice details are imported into your spreadsheet by default. You have to locate the applicable columns for the right information. For example:
- Line Amount shows the total amount for each line item.
- Line.SalesItemLineDetail displays the name, unit price, and quantity of each line item.
- Line.Description states any description added to each line item.
Export invoice addresses in QuickBooks Online
The invoice address, also known as the billing address, is your customer’s address. Sometimes, it may be the same as their shipping/delivery address, or they may be different from each other. You can use Coupler.io to export invoice addresses in QuickBooks Online.
As you may already know, Coupler.io exports invoice data by default. Below are some useful columns for finding invoice addresses:
- BillAddr.Line1 presents the address.
- BillAddr.City shows the customer’s city.
- BillAddr.Country displays the country.
- BillAddr.PostalCode reveals the postal code.
Which is the best way to export invoices from QuickBooks Online?
A business owner or accountant needs to keep accurate records of invoices sent to customers. It’s helpful for managing the flow of cash and tracking any surpluses or shortages during an accounting period. It also helps to easily refer to any information contained in each invoice.
You can apply the manual method to export invoices from QuickBooks Online. In summary, navigate to the Reports tab and search for Invoice List, then click the Export button. This will export a list of your invoices as an Excel or PDF file.
Coupler.io is a great way to automate QuickBooks invoice exports. It helps to import QuickBooks data to your preferred spreadsheet application without having to do it yourself. You can also pull the data that matters most to you.Back to Blog