If you are wondering why anyone would export data from a Mailchimp Campaign, well, there are plenty of reasons. I, for example, export data to track the performance of my email campaigns.
From Mailchimp, you can get information about campaign clicks, opens, emails sent, and so on. With this data in a spreadsheet or data visualization tool, it’s easy to shape up an actionable campaign performance report to derive insights on how to optimize marketing efforts.
At the same time, you may also have other reasons to export Mailchimp campaigns. Some users want to reuse their successful campaigns in other apps or platforms, so they need them exported in HTML. Other users may need their campaigns with images, so they will opt for exporting in PDF format.
Depending on your needs, the methods to export Mailchimp campaigns will differ. In this guide, I’m going to explain all the options so you can choose the one that fits your needs best.
How to export Mailchimp campaign data for analytics or reporting
Let’s start with the option that works best for those who want to analyze their Mailchimp campaign performance. The Mailchimp integration by Coupler.io allows you to export information about the sent Mailchimp campaigns or performance report data with extended statistics.
You can load this data to Google Sheets, Excel, BigQuery, as well as Looker Studio and Power BI. Data viz tools work great if you want to build an interactive dashboard like one of these.
In addition to campaigns, you can export various information about your Mailchimp audience (contacts) using Coupler.io. We’ve blogged about this in Mailchimp Export Contacts.
It only takes a couple of minutes to set up an integration that will export Mailchimp campaign data to the chosen destination automatically. You can do this in three simple steps.
Step 1. Extract your Mailchimp data
First, you need to sign up for Coupler.io. A free trial is available for 14 days and you won’t need to add your credit card number to try the app.
Once you are in the Coupler.io app, click the Add new importer button, select Mailchimp as a source app, and specify a desired destination app, for example, Microsoft Excel.
Then, follow the instructions to connect your Mailchimp account and select a data entity to export. In our case, this will be Campaigns or Campaigns report. Optionally, you can use the advanced filter to filter out the exported Mailchimp campaign data.
Step 2. Preview and transform your data
In the next step, you can preview and transform your Mailchimp campaign data to extract. You can hide unnecessary columns, filter and sort them, as well as make calculations. If needed, you can also add another Mailchimp account as an additional data source and merge data from both accounts in one dataset. This can also be done in this data transformation module.
Then, connect your destination account. Since we are doing a Mailchimp export to Excel, you will need to connect your Microsoft account and specify where to load your data.
Step 3. Manage your data
Now, let’s set up a schedule for automated updates. Toggle on the Automatic data refresh, and set up a frequency for your automated exports of Mailchimp campaigns, for example, every hour from Monday to Friday.
Save and run the importer to transfer data. Here is what Mailchimp campaigns information looks like when imported to a spreadsheet:
The exported records contain versatile information about campaigns, including their status, type, send time, subject line, archive URL, and more.
That’s it! Now you can manage your data and work with it in a spreadsheet, building custom reports, performing calculations, and conducting analysis.
Can I export Mailchimp campaigns as PDF or HTML this way?
In the Mailchimp campaigns information that you exported using the Mailchimp integration, there are two columns: archive_url and long_archive_url. They contain archive URLs of your campaigns. These can be useful if you want to get images from your Mailchimp campaigns, and save them as PDF or get their HTML code.
To do this, follow the link for the required Mailchimp campaign from any of these columns.
Your campaign will open in a new tab, for example:
Then, you can save it as PDF by clicking CTRL+P or Command-P (on Mac) => select Save as PDF.
The rest of the flow is intuitive and simple.
To get an HTML code of your campaign, just click Ctrl+U or Option+Command+U (on Mac) to view the page source. You can also download the campaign as an HTML file by right-clicking and selecting Save as…
Exporting campaigns using the Mailchimp integration by Coupler.io works well for multiple purposes, including Mailchimp analytics and reporting. At the same time, if you do not need such deep insights, you can simply export the content of your campaigns from the Mailchimp UI.
How to export a sent campaign with images from Mailchimp
Let’s start with the most straightforward way to pull data using the Mailchimp UI. It allows you to only export sent Mailchimp campaigns as a package. This package contains a CSV file with information about campaigns and the very campaigns in HTML and TXT files. To do this, go to Account & billing => Settings => Manage my data.
- Mark Campaigns as the data entity you want to export, select a time range for your data, then click Export Data.
- Once the export file is complete, you’ll need to download it.
As a result, you’ll get a ZIP file that contains a file campaigns.csv and a folder campaigns_content. In the folder, you’ll find TXT and HTML files of your campaigns.
Export Mailchimp campaigns from the UI
The logic of exporting campaigns from Mailchimp UI is the following:
- Preview a campaign content
- Save it as PDF or HTML file
There is no Export button for campaigns, only for email templates. Let’s check out how it works for all the cases.
How to export a Mailchimp campaign as a PDF
- Go to Campaigns => All campaigns, then click the drop-down menu next to the campaign you want to export and select View Email, View Landing page or another type of campaign you want to export.
You will see a content preview of your campaign. The rest of the flow you already know, but we’ll remind you just in case:
- Right-click and select Print… or use the shortcut (CTRL+P or Command-P (on Mac)).
- Then select Save as PDF.
- Finally, click Save.
How to export Mailchimp campaign to HTML
The flow is mostly the same as with exporting a campaign content as PDF. The only difference is that you need to save it as an HTML document.
- Go to Campaigns => All campaigns.
- Then, click the drop-down menu next to the campaign you want to export.
- Select View Email, View Landing page or another type of campaign you want to export.
- On the preview of your campaign content, right-click and select Save as.. or use a shortcut (CTRL+S or Option+Command-S (on Mac)).
- Finally, select a folder on your computer to download the HTML file.
How to export Mailchimp campaign template to HTML
As mentioned before, there is a dedicated button for exporting email templates in HTML.
You can find it if you:
- Go to Campaigns => Email templates
- Click the drop-down menu next to the Mailchimp campaign template you want to export.
- Click the button, then confirm the export by clicking Export Template.
The HTML file of your campaign template will be downloaded to your computer.
How to export a workflow campaign from Mailchimp
Let’s say you’ve created a workflow automation in Mailchimp that sends a welcome email every time you tag a contact with a ‘Lead‘ tag. You can’t export the entire automated workflow, but you can export the email content you use in it.
Go to the Customer Journey Builder of your workflow automation and click on the Send email step.
Then you can either click Edit Email Content or Preview:
- Edit Email Content – this will let you save your email as a template, which you can then export from the Email templates section as HTML.
- Preview – this will let you save your email in HTML or PDF format, as we explained above.
In our example, let’s click Edit Email Content. After that, you need to click the Save as Template button and name your template.
Your email campaign has been saved and you’ll find it in the Email templates section.
I’ve already described the flow to export templates from Mailchimp.
Can I export a Mailchimp campaign to another account?
You don’t have to export campaigns from one Mailchimp account to import them into another one. Instead, you can just share email templates!
- Go to Email templates, click the drop-down menu next to the template you want to export to another account, and click Share.
- You can share the template by email or URL. Choose the option you prefer.
Note: The template recipient has to add a campaign template to their account by clicking the Add to your Account button.
How to add a campaign to templates
If your campaign has not been saved as a template, then you need to do the following:
- If your campaign has already been sent, then you need to replicate it:
If your campaign is still a draft, click Edit.
- Then go to Edit Design.
- In the top-right corner, select Template => Save this design as a template.
Name it, and voila!
What’s the best way to export a Mailchimp campaign?
Let’s be honest – it depends. Since only you know exactly what you need to export a Mailchimp campaign for, you should choose the method accordingly.
If you just need to reuse some of your campaigns, for example, with another Mailchimp account or software, then you should probably use the template option. The basic UI method works well for data migration purposes.
However, for reporting and analytics, it’s better to use Coupler.io and its Malchimp integration. You can export data to a spreadsheet or right to the Looker Studio where you can build an interactive dashboard. Besides, you will get your campaign URLs and then you can easily save campaigns in PDF or HTML format. Sign up for Coupler.io and check out its value for yourself.
Streamline your data analytics & reporting with Coupler.io!
Coupler.io is an all-in-one data analytics and automation platform designed to close the gap between getting data and using its full potential. Gather, transform, understand, and act on data to make better decisions and drive your business forward!
- Save hours of your time on data analytics by integrating business applications with data warehouses, data visualization tools, or spreadsheets. Enjoy 200+ available integrations!
- Preview, transform, and filter your data before sending it to the destination. Get excited about how easy data analytics can be.
- Access data that is always up to date by enabling refreshing data on a schedule as often as every 15 minutes.
- Visualize your data by loading it to BI tools or exporting it directly to Looker Studio. Making data-driven decisions has never been easier.
- Easily track and improve your business metrics by creating live dashboards on your own or with the help of our experts.
Try Coupler.io today at no cost with a 14-day free trial (no credit card required), and join 700,000+ happy users to accelerate growth with data-driven decisions.Start 14-day free trial