Getting data from GA4 to Google Sheets usually takes two steps: export data from GA4 and import data to Google Sheets. This is a simple but inefficient data flow. At the same time, when you connect GA4 to Google Sheets, the data flow becomes automated.
For a simple weekly web analytics report, you can save more than 1 hour of your time per month. And if you have multiple advanced reports, your time savings can reach several hours. How can you do this? Read this tutorial to find out.
What are the options to export GA4 to Google Sheets?
As we mentioned, you can export a report from GA4 by manually downloading it as a CSV file. Then you can upload this file to Google Sheets to do the job. That’s the layman’s method which is not that efficient.
To connect GA4 to Google Sheets, you’d probably want to have something similar to the Google Analytics add-on for Google Sheets to automate exports on a schedule. For many years, users have enjoyed this simple yet actionable solution to connect Google Analytics Universal to Google Sheets. Unfortunately, with the retirement of GA Universal, the add-on has not been updated to support GA4. It’s still working to load your historical data from GAU but this is the only thing it can do.
Luckily, there is an alternative. You can use Coupler.io to connect GA4 to Google Sheets. With this automated integration, you can have your data regularly transferred to a spreadsheet without any manual effort. The integration is very easy to set up. It can be done in just a few minutes, and you won’t need any tech knowledge for this.
Once you connect Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets, Coupler.io will refresh your ad data in a spreadsheet automatically. Let’s explore this method in more detail.
How to connect GA4 to Google Sheets automatically
Coupler.io is a data automation and analytics platform designed to turn raw data into meaningful reports. Coupler.io is a solution designed for business users, such as marketing and sales professionals, so it’s very easy to use. You don’t need any tech knowledge to connect GA4 to Google Sheets with its help.
Here’s how to export data from Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets automatically using Coupler.io.
- Create a Coupler.io account. In this case, it will be convenient to sign up using your Google account.
- Go to the My importers tab and click Add new importer. Select Google Analytics 4 as a source and Google Sheets as a destination.
After that, you only need to complete 3 steps:
Step 1. Extract data from GA4
- Connect your GA4 account and grant the requested access permissions. They are necessary for transferring your data to the spreadsheet. Then, select one of the Analytics accounts available in your Google Analytics account. Choose the property you want to export.
- After this, choose up to 9 dimensions and up to 10 metrics you want to include. You can also specify the period for your report. By default, Coupler.io will export data for the last 30 days.
If you want your report to have a separate row showing the minimum, maximum, and/or total values of the selected metrics, you can specify your preferences in the Summarize metrics field.
Note: You can include data from another account or property, or just data for other GA4 dimensions and metrics in the same report. To do so, use Coupler.io’s Data Stitching functionality. Once the source is configured, click the Add one more source button. Then, you will be able to connect a new data source or just select other parameters for the same GA4 account. This will allow you to load several datasets to the same destination file with just one importer.
Step 2. Transform data before loading it to Google Sheets
Before the GA4 data is loaded to Google Sheets, you can preview and even transform it:
- Hide, rename, and reorder columns, and change their data type.
- Add new columns using supported calculation formulas.
- Sort and filter data based on the selected criteria and specified values.
Step 3. Manage data to load to Google Sheets
- For the last step, you need to connect your Google account. If you used it to sign up, then it’s already connected and you’ll just need to select it from the drop-down menu.
- Select a spreadsheet and a sheet where to import your data. You can create a new sheet if you type a new name.
Optionally, you can specify the first cell/exact cell range for importing data, change the import mode from replace to append and switch on/off other valuable features.
Once everything is ready, press Continue, then Save and Run. The exported data will appear in the selected spreadsheet. Here’s what it looks like.
Additionally, you can turn on automatic updates, and your refreshed data will be automatically transferred from Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets at the selected intervals.
How to export data from GA4 to Google Sheets on a schedule
You can use Coupler.io to have your GA4 data in the spreadsheet regularly updated. This is very convenient if you build custom reports, graphs, or dashboards in Google Sheets. When Coupler.io transfers fresh data from Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets, the numbers in your reports or dashboard will be adjusted automatically to reflect the latest changes. Another reason to use this feature is for backup purposes.
You can turn on the Automatic data refresh feature either when setting up your importer or after the first run. The schedule configuration includes:
- Select the interval for the updates – from every month to every 15 minutes.
- Specify the days of the week
- Specify the time preference for your data to be refreshed automatically.
- Choose the schedule time zone
For example, you can select Friday 9:00 AM if you are planning to work on a weekly report at that time. Or you can schedule the updates from Monday to Friday in business hours to closely track results and monitor your metrics in near-real time. You can easily adjust the schedule to your needs, and Coupler.io will regularly fetch the latest data from Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets according to your schedule.
How to connect GA4 to Google Sheets using an add-on?
Besides a web-based app, Coupler.io can also work as a Google Sheets add-on. It mostly has the same functionality as the web version, but it’s more convenient if you want to manage your data imports directly from a spreadsheet. Here’s how to do this:
- Install the Coupler.io add-on from the Google Marketplace.
- Open a spreadsheet where you want to import your GA4 report. Go to Extensions -> Coupler.io -> Open dashboard.
- Log in to your Coupler.io account using the credentials from the web app.
- After this, you’ll be able to configure your importer and schedule updates in the same way that we’ve already described for the browser version.
In addition to this, you can run or pause your GA4 importers manually directly from the spreadsheet.
With your GA4 connected to Google Sheets, you can visualize, build interactive dashboards, or process insights in many other ways.
Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets – layman’s method
If you’re still hesitating whether Coupler.io is a right solution for your needs, we want to remind you what the manual way of getting GA4 data to Google Sheets looks like.
- Select the report you want to export and click Share this report in the top right corner.
- Click Download file.
- Choose Download CSV and welcome your GA4 report exported as a CSV file to your computer.
The next stage is to upload this CSV file to Google Sheets.
- Create a new sheet or open an existing one, then go to File => Import.
- Select Upload and select your file with the GA4 report.
- Select the Import location and Separator type, then click Import data.
That’s it. Here is what it looks like in Google Sheets:
This way of exporting data from Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets is good if you do this rarely, for example, once per month. But it excludes any automation, meaning that it’s not fit for building any self-updating reports or dashboards.
What is the best way of connecting GA4 to Google Sheets?
In this article, we’ve explored two different methods that allow you to export data from Google Analytics 4 to Google Sheets:
- The first one is setting up an automated integration with the help of a third-party tool, Coupler.io.
- The second method implies exporting data manually with GA4’s native functionality.
Exporting data manually can be a rather good option if you don’t need to do this often. It’s free, it’s simple, and the necessary functionality is already integrated into your Google Analytics 4 account.
However, extracting data manually can turn into a tiresome and quite cumbersome process if you need to do this regularly. If you need to work with the latest GA4 data in the spreadsheet quite often, then, it’s best to connect GA4 to Google Sheets automatically and schedule updates.
You will need to set up an importer only once, and after this, no more manual work is required. Another benefit of automation is that Coupler.io is not limited to GA4 to Google Sheets integration. It supports more than 70 different data sources. In particular, you can extract data from Google Analytics 4, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Mailchimp, and many other sources. Google Search Console to Google Sheets integration is also available.
The destinations for the source data include Google Sheets, Excel, BigQuery, Looker Studio, and Power BI. This gives you an opportunity to collect marketing information from different apps in one place and create cross-channel reports.
Coupler.io is perfect for creating cross-channel reports, self-updating dashboards, calculating custom metrics, and analysis. If you wish to create advanced visualizations to present your data in an analysis-ready way, take a look at our guide on how to connect Google Analytics 4 with Looker Studio.
Streamline your data analytics & reporting with Coupler.io!
Coupler.io is an all-in-one data analytics and automation platform designed to close the gap between getting data and using its full potential. Gather, transform, understand, and act on data to make better decisions and drive your business forward!
- Save hours of your time on data analytics by integrating business applications with data warehouses, data visualization tools, or spreadsheets. Enjoy 200+ available integrations!
- Preview, transform, and filter your data before sending it to the destination. Get excited about how easy data analytics can be.
- Access data that is always up to date by enabling refreshing data on a schedule as often as every 15 minutes.
- Visualize your data by loading it to BI tools or exporting it directly to Looker Studio. Making data-driven decisions has never been easier.
- Easily track and improve your business metrics by creating live dashboards on your own or with the help of our experts.
Try Coupler.io today at no cost with a 14-day free trial (no credit card required), and join 700,000+ happy users to accelerate growth with data-driven decisions.Start 14-day free trial